Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Redwood, oh Redwood.....

Well people,

You probably didn't expect to hear from me two nights in a row, but here I am again!

This time it is because of our old nemesis, the RAIN!  Yes, rain has driven me from Redwood National Park, and with a fury, too!  It was raining so hard when we were setting up camp that the tarp couldn't keep up with the deluge, and we looked at each other, and said it wasn't worth it!  So, here I am in a Kabin (it disturbs me that the "K" is not a "C", but that is how KOA likes to do it) in the KOA in Eureka, CA in the warm comfiness! (is that a word?)

I love having internet and a roof over my head, especially when it is raining outside like cats and dogs...

Josh and I were talking and to some of you it might seem like we are being a bit sissy about the whole not staying out in the rain thing.  But hear me out!  When the place you are staying gets over 130 in. of rain a year, and you know you are going to wake up in a pool of water and go hiking in water all the next day- you really would like a place to dry off.  We noticed that no one else was tent camping- and we know why.  So, before you patronize me for not wanting to go floating through the forest on my air mattress, think about what you would have done if you felt like a wet rag in a drainage ditch....


Ok, so now I am going to explain the intricacies of Redwood National Park...

First- it is not just a National Park, it also a collection (and I do mean collection) of Cali State Parks.
      This is the first thing you have to understand about the park- all of the camping is basically in the state parks, and to this moment, I don't know if I ever saw the actual national park....someone please tell me where it is!  We couldn't find it, so please enlighten me.

Second, the fees to camp in this round about park are just outrageous- we paid A LOT less for Yellowstone.
     They charge 35 bucks for a tent site, and they make you pay for showers- quarter slots in the shower- ghetto, just ghetto....As you can see I was fed up already....hence the decision to go to Eureka.

Really there is not much to do in Redwoods, other than to look at the trees, which is fine with me- but all the trees are along the roadside- all the big ones anyway....so that makes it not as exciting for me.

This is just how I saw it, but I am sure it better on a sunny day-

Here are some pics from Redwood:  HERE (note the crazy faces- the rain had seeped into our brains....)

EBS

No comments:

Post a Comment