Monday, June 28, 2010

Arches, Grand Canyon, and COMING HOME!!!!

Hello all!   We are in Amarillo, TX!!!  Almost home!

I am feeling 98% better than the last time I talked to you!  I say only 98%, because I still have a massive blister that still has not totally resolved itself from Zion- doesn't it seem like everything happened to me in my favorite park?  

Anyway- We went to Arches the morning after my last post, and I felt better- but I still was miserable.....

I had acquired a new ache, this time in my back, and it probably cam from me getting up 13 times to go to the bathroom and walking on asphalt with bare feet to get there- yes, I counted my bathroom trips, you never know what stuff a doctor might like to know.....

So, Arches is very very very beautiful, but I have to say a bit hot and crowded when we went.  I really didn't get to see the park to its fullest, because by 9am it was already 90 degrees and my body told me to sit down every 15 minutes or so!   

I did make it to the Landscape Arch, which is the super wide, expansive arch in the pics, the Delicate Arch, and the fallen Wall Arch.  The Delicate Arch is the one on the Utah license plate, and is one of the most famous arches in the world!  (that must be why all the Germans, French, Dutch....you name it, and that country was represented)

So we left Arches, me feeling miserable and Josh just ready to be home......BUT I WILL RETURN!!! possibly in March or April in some years down the line- it has to be cooler then!

That night we went to the KOA in Flagstaff, where I had a very restful night, aside from the BRIGHT moon, children screaming until 10:30pm, and frightful wind......

OK, SIDE STORY-

I got up at 1:30am to go to the bathroom.  Groggily, I waddled to the facilities, and I finished my business with mister toilet.  Upon leaving my stall, I was confronted with an animal.......a cat?.....no.....a skunk!   Yes, ladies and gentlemen, a skunk in the men's bathroom staring me in the face, waddling towards my stall.  I hopped back into the stall, got on the toilet, and watched as he circled the bathroom and left.  Thank goodness he left, because at that point, I almost had to use the bathroom again! 

I cautiously went outside, looked around, and saw nothing of him.  But, while I was, again, cautiously walking back to the tent site, I saw him digging through a RV's trash about 9 sites down from ours.   As far as I know, he stayed away from us, because we through our trash away before we go to bed.

The only reason he scared me so much was because, I was half asleep, in sandals that I can't run in, and just got off the toilet- so that's the story, and I am stickin' to it! 

BACK TO THE MAIN EVENT! 

So after Flagstaff, we headed to the Grand Canyon early this morning for a whirlwind tour of it.  The canyon is absolutely spectacular, especially in the early morning light (8:30am).  I wish that we could have stayed longer, but we really needed to be getting back.   I will come back here again with enough equipment to hike down to the bottom! 

After the Canyon, we headed for home!  I finally got to press the “Go Home” button on my GPS, and it felt good, I have to say.  A month is a long time to be away from a place that you really do love!

When I woke up this morning, I felt really good, and I am glad that feeling has continued throughout the day.  I actually ate a whole meal today, and I didn't feel like I was going to throw up!  I promise I will disinfect before I come home!  I am also thankful for the many prayers and "thinking about you's" that I got!  You guys make writing this a joy, and your feedback is so wonderful!  

A special thanks to Mrs. Cleis Jensen for all of her little e-mails along the way, with helpful hints and stories- You're a first-class lady and one of the finest humans I know (but you know dogs and cats don't talk back), keep it up!  (just joking about the cats and dogs)

Hope you enjoy the brief and belated pics: Picasa is broken at this juncture, but here are the FB links: HERE and HERE

Thanks for reading!  I hope to be really close to getting home tomorrow!  Hoping to get to Memphis tomorrow!  (and no, we will not be seeing Elvis- I can’t stand him…)

EBS

No comments:

Post a Comment