Thursday, May 27, 2010

Made it to St. Louis: The Gateway to the West

Hello all,

After much fun, toil, and rain (OMG the rain), we have made it to St. Louis, MO!!! Our trip here has been filled with laughter, surprises, and quite frankly a lot of freaking out!

So let me begin with our morning- We packed up the car and left the apartment at around 7:30am (SPECIAL MESSAGE FOR DIXIE DAMREL- Saw you coming into Clemson this morning!! I was going to call, but I figured the traffic that centered around that apartment fire was going to wear on you, and you had no time to talk to me!).

So, we did what any Southerner would have for breakfast, BOJANGLES! And after that we left, feeling bloated and grease filled all the way down the road.....

We had a very uneventful trip until we hit Knoxville, with tons of traffic and some congestion. Next it was on to Nashville, and I was driving at this point, because we stopped and ate a Zaxby's somewhere in TN. So, Eric does not handle cities that well, but thank goodness Nashville interstates don't run through the city! I completed it with relative ease!

With that out of the way, we went on to a small piece of Kentucky, which included Paducah. This is where it happened- one of the most hellacious rain storms I have ever been in! We had to pull over twice to the side of the interstate, which almost everyone had to do, and then it began to drop hail! We were both praying that it wouldn't be bigger than dime size and not dent the car! It was really scary, but I secretly loved it. I really love seeing lightning, and if you have been out here you know that you can see the whole lightning bolt- no trees or elevation changes to screw with the view! So. I saw my branching lightning and heard the thunder- but what I couldn't deal with was not being able to see a darn thing- I am driving, people, and the rain was COMING down (could have sworn I saw a cat or dog)!

So Josh freaked out about not having control over the car, so I willingly relinquished it and switched seats.

We drove the rest of the way to Paducah, where we stole Internet from a Holiday Inn Express (they have really fast Internet), and found this KOA (Kampground of America) that we are at right now. Only thing is that they won't let me upload my picture files because they are too big- ya know cause I have my fancy dancy camera and all! Oh well, I guess I will just have to steal some internet from another hotel somewhere- so I hope to see you then!

In the mean time- keep us in your prayers!


Traveling into St. Louis proper tomorrow and see the Gateway Arch- then on to Kansas City! And Denver the next day!

I hope y'all have fun readin' this thing, because I am dying out here with the bugs and the 95% humidity in St. Louis!

Hopefully will be writing tomorrow!

- EBS

--
Eric Shealy
Clemson University
Environmental Horticulture
ebsheal@g.clemson.edu
greeneryisforme@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment